Adult Basic EducationNeed High School Prerequisites for University?
Department of Academic and Career Prep.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s Adult Basic Education program assists students with career and university preparation through Adult Basic Education (ABE) courses and programs.* ABE programs offered through KPU are designed for adults by the Ministry of Advanced Education and are similar to ABE programs offered by other post secondary institutions in BC.
Fundamental to Intermediate ABE programs in English, math and sciences
- Grade 10 Certificate of Completion and Grade 11 Certificate of Completion for adult learners interested in entering the workforce, vocational programs or Grade 12 studies.
- BC Adult Graduation Diploma program (Grade 12 equivalency) (replaces the former ABE Provincial Diploma option and the "Adult Dogwood" ) for adult learners to complete their BC Ministry of Education secondary school graduation requirements in order to enter the workforce or post-secondary studies.
- The flexibility to transfer courses from other universities, colleges and schools.
- The opportunity to take prerequisites needed for entry to other post-secondary institutions in consultation with the selected institution.
- Continuous intake, semester based and online delivery modes
- A range of related services, including English and mathematics assessments and financial assistance.
Certain skills are needed to succeed in a course, and the choice of courses depends on the student's educational and career goals. Also, the number of courses students choose may depend on how much work they can manage. Most students start with one course or at most two.
Students are strongly advised to consult the college or university they plan to attend with regard to entrance requirements. Admission and transfer information is available through BCCAT (British Columbia Council on Admissions & Transfer).
Most ABE courses should be completed in seven and a half or nine months (30 or 36 weeks). Students have the option to finish sooner.
Prior to applying for an ABE program refer to individual course descriptions.
Contact Information: Department of Academic and Career Prep. (604) 599-2964 (email@example.com) or Admissions (604) 599-2000 for further information. The ACP Co-Chairs are Peter Robbins firstname.lastname@example.org (Math/Science) and Danny Wrench email@example.com (English).
The Faculty of Academic and Career Advancement Dean’s office is located on the Surrey campus and can be contacted at 604.599.2026
ACP Student Advising: Aysha Haq
Phone at 604.599.2063
English and math assessments for Adult Basic Education courses are offered at each of Kwantlen Polytechnic University's campuses. Your skills in math and English should be assessed to determine your appropriate course level.
For an assessment appointment, sign up at the Admissions counter on any campus or call:
- Surrey: 604.599.2000
- Richmond: 604.599.2512
- Langley: 604.599.3215
Tuition is waved for Adult Basic Education courses. Some Kwantlen student fees apply; however, students may apply to the BC ABE Student Assistance Program (ABESAP) for funds to help cover some general expenses.