Consolidated Clinical Course PNUR 1130
Learners will demonstrate nursing knowledge, skills and abilities under the guidance of an RN in a health care practice setting.
This is an offsite course and placements are secured throughout BC Lower Mainland hospitals and can include evening and weekend shifts up to a maximum of 250 hours. Students are placed on acute medical/surgical units only in any hospital from Chilliwack to Lions Gate. Placement start dates can occur at any time during the semester following registration. Start dates are determined by the hospital units that accept the placement and are not adjustable by the student. Once placed, the student will mirror their preceptor's schedule until the 250 hours are complete. Students are not permitted to seek their own placements/preceptors as all placements will be arranged by Kwantlen Polytechnic University. Please note: If you do not accept the placement you are assigned, you will receive non-mastery in the course and your course fee will not be refunded.
$1,000.00 CAD, plus the application fee where applicable.
Successful grade for this course is Mastery
To be eligible to register, applicants must have one of the following:
- Completion of Kwantlen Competency Assessment and Enhancement for Nurses’ (CAEN) assessment and have successfully met all education recommendations as identified in the subsequent CAEN Report. The report must be current in the last two (2) years; OR
- Completion of a Substantially Equivalent Competency (SEC) assessment and have successfully met all educational requirements as identified in step 1 and step 2 of the letter/email from CRNBC. The letter must be current in the last two (2) years.
In addition to the above, all applicants registering for PNUR 1130 must submit the following documentation with their application for Consolidated Clinical in order to be eligible to register; related costs are the responsibility of the individual student:
- If you are not a Canadian Citizen, you are required to secure a Criminal Record Search from your country of origin. The Criminal Record Search must be valid at the time of registration; an expired Criminal Record Search will not be accepted. Please note your Criminal Record Search must be mailed directly from the issuing agency to Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Attention: Lorna Wolfe, Professional Studies, 12666 72nd Ave, Surrey, BC, Canada, V3W 2M8. If you are a Permanent Resident, you are required to provide a Criminal Record Search from your country of origin.
- A valid Criminal Record Check (CRC) issued by the BC Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General submitted through Kwantlen Polytechnic University's Professional Studies office. Please visit the Professional Studies office in person to submit your application for a CRC once your application for Clinical is complete and ready to submit. CRC requests will not be processed if your application for Clinical is incomplete. There is a $20 fee payable via visa or mastercard only that must be submitted at the time of application and is payable to the BC Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General. Please bring two pieces of valid ID. One piece of ID must be government issues (Driver License preferred) and display your name, date of birth, signature and photo.
- All applicants must show proof of English proficiency. We accept any of the following: English proficiency test CELBAN with minimum test scores being Speaking:CLB 8, Listening:CLB 10, Reading:CLB 8, Writing:CLB 7; or English proficiency test IELTS (Academic Version) with minimum test scores being Overall:7, Speaking:7, Listening 7.5, Reading 6.5, Writing 7.0; Please note, results from combining tests are not accepted; or if you are a Canadian graduate, you can submit your official university transcript meeting the following English requirements: English 12 (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of B; or undergraduate English equivalent with a minimum of C+;
- Proof of CPR Level C Canadian certificate or higher; CPR certification must remain current throughout the duration of the placement
- Proof of Immunizations consistent with the requirements of clinical agencies. If you do not have your immunization records, you can print the Immunization form provided and have it authorized by your doctor Immunization Form
- Valid Canadian Negative TB Screening (skin test is valid for six months, x-ray is valid for one year)
- Signed Confidentiality Agreement
- Signed HSP Consent Form Consent Form for Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
- Applicants must complete the Applicant Resume and email to the Professional Studies office in the WORD format (please do not convert to PDF) prior to their appointment to register for Clinical. Please ensure you include any Professional Studies courses that you have successfully mastered in the section titled "Additional Education/Post Graduate". Email address to send the document to is email@example.com
- Applicants can complete and email the Applicant Request Form which identifies their preferred placement location. Placement at any of these locations cannot be guaranteed however as it will depend on which unit accepts the placement request. This document can be email to firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Register
Please print this registration form and clearly print your information and sign the application. Applications will only be accepted if they contain all the necessary documentation as noted above. Partial applications and late applications will not be accepted. Applications will only be accepted in person at the Professional Studies Office Monday – Thursday 9:00a-4:00p and Fridays 10:00a-1:00p during the course registration period by appointment only. Please call 604-599-2232 to book your appointment to register for Consolidated Clinical.
Registration closes once all the seats are full or one month after the start of the semester to allow enough time to place all students.
Current Course Schedule
In addition to the prerequisites, applicants will also be required to complete Fit Testing prior to commencing their placement. To register for Fit Testing, please visit http://www.kwantlen.ca/health/professional_studies/fit_testing.html for details.
Drug Guidebook – one of the following:
Recommended: Lippincott Drug Guide (latest edition) OR Davis Drug Guide (latest edition)
Please call Lorna Wolfe, Program Assistant 604-599-2232 or email email@example.com